Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Defretting Project

This is the chronicle of my defretting project (my third) on my Cort Action Bass (Short Scale). If you click on a picture, you can see a larger version.




This is after the frets have been removed and the initial sanding done. It's always a tricky job. I use a razor to score both sides of the fret to reduce splintering. But you can see even these "clean" removals aren't very nice.




This is what it looks like after applying the Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Putty. It took 3 applications (sanding in between) to get all the pits filled in.




This is after sanding the wood putty.




After sanding comes the staining. I used Minwax Dark Walnut, applied for 15 minutes before rubbing off, then Thom Mcan Black Leather Dye, applied liberally but wiped off right away. Then the sanding sealer is used, which is what you see here.






All taped up and ready for painting on the fret lines, with Dutch Boy Instant Chrome spray paint.










After the spray paint, I applied a couple coats of Minwax Polycrylic (by brush). I used about 5 coats total, interspersed with 3 coats of Olympic Pearlessense, which gives a nice shimmer/glimmer look. I do light sanding between each coat with 400 grit sandpaper. Then finally, 3 coats of spray-on lacquer from a spray can.




This is what the finished fretboard looks like out in the bright sun. Snazzy, huh!




It sounds as good as it looks! With new Rotosound Jazz Bass 77 strings, it sounds FABULOUS!!!